>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Army Medic turned Correctional Officer

Subscribe to Army Medic turned Correctional Officer 11 posts, 5 voices

Login to reply

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

Doc, the jump boots do work ok. I’ve worn them for years but the down side is the insoles go flat rather quickly. Get a good pair of slip in’s and they become much more comfy.

Sorry to hear about your mishap Shakey, best of luck for a quick recovery. Till then I’ll continue to shamelessly pimp your condiments. Why? Because I like hot sauce.

Flag1 1 shakeyjake 112 posts

Thanks for the mention of Shakey Jake’s, as for the check, you’ll have to get in line for that. I’ve been off work for a bit, had to burn 160 hrs for a shoulder injury I got at work, now I have to fight to get it back thru workers comp. With being on return to work, I could not work any OT get holiday pay, shift diff or roll call for the last 3 months. And as for your # 4 tip, if you really want to make the C/O’s happy make sure it’s you own coffee, because C/O’s like things that are free.

Male user Doc Kleemann 5 posts

Irish Assassin Thanks. I suppose that’s something I forgot. There are positions for all regardless of their stature. And the twisted humor, that’s gotten me in trouble before. I’ll laugh about something completely inappropriate and everyone just kind of looks at me like I’m crazy, haha.

I was thinking about buying another pair of my old black jump boots. Good enough to jump and ruck in, gotta be good enough for cement floors. And hot sauce, it’s the cornerstone of any mans diet…

Truth be told not all your coworkers will be capable individuals in the physical game. Yet some that appear out of shape and not much help may just surprize you, and others may have different skill sets that are useful. I worked with an older female officer for years who probably couldn’t fight off a cold but put in her post behind the control panel of the block gates and she was more than capable of doing her part to keep fellow staff safe. Just in a different way yet it was no less important. As Mick stated the ones who are not cut out for any part of the job don’t tend to stay long. Ahhh yes the ever important twisted mindset. This can be one of the best things in your arsenal. Not only does it help you beat back stress but in the right situations can actually give you control. Just like in the service the general public will never understand all the things we laugh and joke about but it still always helps to have a good chuckle when possible. That being said I’ll leave you with a few small tips that may help you along the way.

1. A small dot of Vicks under your nose does wonders to block the “smells” of the prison.
2. State toilet paper is known as “John Wayne paper” for a reason, it’s rough, tough and doesn’t take crap off from anyone.
3. Comfortable boots/insoles are a must, as is a lunchbox big enough to hold enough chow for a double shift.
4. If you can make a good pot of coffee, you’ll have lots of friends
5. Never let inmates walk directly behind you, one step in front and one to your strong side usually the ideal position.
6. Shakey Jakes Hot Sauce goes great with everything.

Now some of these are more useful than others and you’ll learn new things all the time. Good luck and godspeed, Hooah!

If any of ya’ll see Shakey running around here, I’ll be waiting for my marketing check.

Mick Thanks for the response. You’re absolutely right in that sense. And it sure is good to know that those who are incapable for the most part will leave. It really has been on my mind, but I’ll take your word on it that the weak willed give up along the way. And that’s just outstanding, like to hear that you’re a force to be reckoned with.

As for the twisted sense of humor, being a Doc I got that covered.

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Doc. As the Old saying goes don’t judge a book by its cover. To look at me you would say " Fat Old Man" but just last week I took down a Guy half my age on my own. The thing about this job is you will find that those not suited to the Job won’t stay too long. When I joined we had a class of 20. After the first 6 months there was 14 of us, in the first year that had reduced to 9 and after 15 years there are 7 left including me. Although this Job can be physical, 99% of the time it’s your mouth that will control a situation and get you out of trouble. A twisted sense of humour is also a big help.

Mick – Thanks, absolutely right. “Better to ask than wing it and get it wrong.”

Eitel Status – Thanks for the insight. They like to humor themselves? Good thing I have quite the capacity for patience.

Irish Assassin – Thanks for the reply brother, I can almost hear the words “Stay Alert, Stay Alive” being grunted at me.

I guess the only other thing I would like to ask is probably loaded, but I’d like a straight answer if possible. I am honestly concerned about who some of my fellow officers may be. When I took the physical fitness test I took note of who else was present and what they were able to achieve in a controlled environment at a gym after a full nights sleep. Now, for the most part I understand we all bleed red regardless of age and gender, but to be honest I have a doubt as to the effectiveness of who some of my peers may be. I’m not saying everyone has to be Superman. I know all to well from my experiences in the Army that many times it’s the weak looking 120 pound soldier who is able to outlast the body builders in combat as it’s a mental game, but strength has to needed as well. To put it bluntly, some of the people who “passed” I wouldn’t trust to walk up a flight of stairs with a bag of groceries, much less fighting off a prisoner or two while dragging my body to a position of cover. I mean, I hope nobody takes it the wrong way as I do know there are plenty of people of advanced age or the opposing gender who are capable, just as there are guys my age who are not… I just want your insight to how it is and how I should prepare myself.

I don’t mean to appear as if I’m calling every older individual, obese individual, or woman incapable, just that it honestly worries me given I didn’t see many physically fit individuals there. I’ve been in a fight for my life before, too close to use my weapon, and it was rather difficult even for me. Because of that it does scare me to think some of these people may be the only support I may have. I have to believe that these prisoners have nothing better to do than work out and plan for that one moment they may strike. Maybe I shouldn’t treat it like the Army, but I always could count on my squad being fully capable of destroying everything around them and turning all to rubble and ash if a brother needed help.

Sorry for the rant, and once again I hope people can understand that I’m not saying anyone is incapable merely because of the way they look. Just hoping you guys can alleviate my concerns, or at least mitigate them.

Welcome from another ex dogface. Corrections is a different animal than what your used to in the way situations are handled. On the battlefield when things get real it’s wide open throttle damn the torpedos and bring all the hell with you thats possible. In corrections most days require a more methodical answer. Always be alert and aware of your surroundings, and attention to detail could just save your ass. Not much different than walking the streets of Baghdad really except the danger is often but not always much less severe. Treat the inmates fairly but do your job firmly and try to be the same everyday to everyone. This is the fair, firm and consistant rule everyone talks about. Just like the first time you went downrange and put your boots in the sand ask questions and learn from the vets. Stay frosty and we all go home safe at night.

Male user Eitel Status 7 posts

I have to agree with Mick. There usually is a structure in the chain of command with staff similar to the military. Wwe as correctional officers definitely are out numbered. Just remember that the offenders are there to serve their punishment given to them by our justice system. All you need to do is make sure the offenders are following institution policies. Have a sense of humor and like Mick mentioned, do not be afraid to ask questions of your co-workers. Even the offenders will help you out if you are unsure of things. Does not mean you take their word on everything, but they can be helpful. Also remember that the offenders base their decision making off of opportunities. It sounds like you are headed to a maximum prison which has the highest rate for prison riots. These offenders know they are in for a long time with nothing else to loose. If they can humor themselves by taking over a unit or holding a guard or two hostage, they will do it if the opportunity presents itself. I am not saying these situations happen all the time, but what I am saying is keep it in the back of your mind of where you are at and be careful with how you move about the institution. With your military back ground I feel you will do just fine in the correctional environment. Be safe and welcome to the world of corrections!

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

Welcome to your new family. Many of the people you will be working with will be ex-military too so you will find that you have a lot in common. The best advise is watch what the senior officers do. Never take an inmates word always check and check again. And don’t be shy about asking questions of other staff. Better to ask than wing it and get it wrong. The best way to describe a prison to military is think of yourself and your colleagues as being deep behind enemy lines. You have the firepower but they have the numbers.

Happy New Years to everyone. I spent 5 years as an active duty artilleryman who deployed twice to Iraq (27 months) and then transferred and re-classed as a Medic in an Infantry Battalion in the Wisconsin Army National Guard. I’ve been doing that for 2 years and plan on retiring as a Medic while I pursue a career as a C/O. I’ve done patrols, cordon and searches, fought with a few Iraqis and transported some detainees in my time, but I’m fairly sure this we be a whole new challenge. I’m looking forward to cutting my teeth at a maximum security correctional institute once I complete my pre-service training.

I understand this will require a whole new approach than what I’ve come to expect from the Army, but the mindset has to be the same. Any advice for a rook? (Kinda funny to think that now I’m the cherry)

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015