>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

cutting of inmate hair

Subscribe to cutting of inmate hair 16 posts, 9 voices

Login to reply

Male user Gordy 3 posts

In Georgia male inmate’s hair can be no longer than two inches long.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

Ha! Well that was mighty nice of you. Bonus points for good karma.

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

Yes Irish that reminds me of the inmate in the POD unit who demanded to have a prayer rug. After some nasty letters to the Warden we gave him a prayer rug for his room. On one of my rounds I saw him praying to the North and had to tell him where the East was…my contribution to the religious inmates.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

Food Loaf. Solves all kinds of dietary issues, and its damn funny too. Playing the hair game is just the usual BS all the way around. To them religion is great when they can bend it to their favor. Not so great when it works the opposite way.

Oh that reminds me of those goofball inmates who tried to push religious freedom on us. “we can’t eat that…we can’t eat this.” So our Warden had the cooks make a special loaf of bread (very small by the way) that those inmates received. Needless to say they soon changed their religion back to “I can eat everything on the menu.”

Male user commander 277 posts

It is funny how Inmates find religion when it comes time to obey policies and procedures. Had an Inmate one time who claimed to be a Hindu. I really don’t think he could spell it. But, never the less, they had to give him a special diet. They had cheese burgers one day and he wanted one. I told the Inmates on his range and the one above (segregation), that anyone giving him a cheeseburger would lose their shower and their cell would be shook down thorougly. He didn’t get any. Made my day.

Yes we had some goofball inmate that wanted a notarized statement that he was objecting to haircuts when going to state prison due to religious beliefs. I told him, good luck with that. When he gets the first detention/reception center they automatically cut all inmates hair. Inmates who don’t cooperate meet the CERT team, including the lead officer who is about 6’6" and around 300 pounds. He talks like Darth Vader with a cold.

Isr DT Instructor 108 posts

Not really enforced here at my institution. It used to be, but around 7 years ago it was no longer a priority. My only problem is if he doesn’t match his original picture and goes on a trip then the escape flier won’t match, which is a threat to security…..

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

This is just another way to hide contraband. In my institution we have found various items braided in inmates hair one of the best finds was heroin. Religious rights should only extend where security will allow. The fact that these religious exemptions are being abused only show how determined inmates can be.

They are called SRT in Ohio. Special Response Team. Our guys have PR-24 police batons, stab proof vests and helmets, gas masks, knee pads, elbow pads and a few different styles of shields. They go through intensive training on Riot, crowd control, tracking and cell extractions just to name a few.

Yes we had one inmate thought he could do that religious haircut thing but when he got to Wende state prison about 12 CERT officers changed his mind rather quickly.I am impressed with state CERT teams. They all have stab proof vests, duty gear, belts, pepper spray, shields and full sized wooden batons. On one trip to Wende we had an inmate that had “an attitude.” We called ahead by phone and the CERT team met us and he got a very quick introduction to real prison. They circled him like wagon trains in the old west and the largest CO was at least 6’6 and 300 lbs told the inmate to shut up and he was gone to the holding cells. We strip search all inmates who are being transported to state prison. They are thoroughly searched again at Wende and given a full medical evaluation before our Deputies can leave the prison.

The inmates in Ohio are all getting religious exemptions. Another politically correct way of coddling them. When they were going on an MRT or transfer, they got their hair cut or they had to pick out the braids. A strip search is required before leaving or upon entering a Prison in Ohio. The search can be very thorough and time consuming.

New York DOC regulations require inmates to have haircuts upon arrival at the facility. This is done to help prevent the spread of lice and other pests to other inmates and staff. Many of the inmates in our facility would get their hair cut short prior to leaving for state prison.

Funny pictures the dog started it1 OKProcedures 5 posts

When our male offenders come through assessment and reception, their hair is cut extremely short and their picture is taken. After that, they are allowed to grow it out, but policy states:
Thereafter, male hairstyles and appearances, including facial hair, will not conflict with security, sanitation, safety, or health requirements of the department.
The growing, shaving, cutting, or styling of hair will remain in compliance with this procedure and with conventional community standards.

Now – that said – I don’t know how you judge “conventional community standards.” We basically allow them to have their hair as long as they want to, as long as they maintain their hygiene.

If they grow facial hair or long hair after their picture is taken as a new arrival, they are supposed to pay $5 to have a new i.d. made, but I don’t think that is enforced very often. Maybe in extreme cases. We normally take their picture around once a year or so anyway, or when their level changes, so they don’t normally end up paying for them.

Key moji 1 post

PA DOC DOES

Male user tom1973 1 post

I was just wondering if anyone knows what states make inmates cut there hair?

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015