>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

No Restraint?

Subscribe to No Restraint? 10 posts, 6 voices

Login to reply

Getty rf photo of cat and praying mantis Campi 227 posts

Wearing a jump suit should not effect any judgement. Nor should restraints. But all we need is for a judge to get hurt/killed and they would change that.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

Whoever thought up that belt idea has just become one of my people to “buy a drink for.” Think I’ll vote this guy for a nobel prize or something.

Male user Officerwiegand 1 post

Here in Toledo we always have inmates cuffed when transporting them anywhere outside of the facility, and even in court they where jumpsuits when just c’n the judge, it is not until trial when they get to wear civies i like the belt deal though.

Correction officer jamestown0509 313 posts

Our department issued a new policy a few years ago that all inmates going to any court must be cuffed, belted and shackled and the judges were in favor of that for security reasons. The only time inmates are not cuffed, belted and shackled is during trial. At a trial they are in civilian clothes (usually shirt, pants, tie and jacket). It is customary to put an electronic belt on the inmate. The belt is battery operated, the power unit is placed in the inmates back which can deliver 50,000 volts if the inmate tries to escape or go after the judge, jury, or court officers.

Remle riflepg irish assassin 286 posts

It’s all a bunch of tree hugging hippie crap

Thinblueline riggsville 39 posts

I can understand the different phylosiphy. We have, in our attempt to protect “Freedom of the Press”, allowed (at times) court proceedings to become a circus. It takes a strong judge to keep the proceedings in line.

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

That’s another thing about our system. There are no cameras allowed in a sitting court room nor is any live broadcast allowed.

It is gonna make for good reality TV. There are already incidents of UFC in courtrooms.

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

With us neither a Juvenile nor an adult can be handcuffed while appearing in court. Because of the presumption of innocence on that charge it is felt that to do so could influence a jury if they see them in cuffs.

It was reported today that the State Supreme Court handed down a decesion that Juvenile offenders will no longer be restrained in the courtroom unless the Judge orders it if he feels the Juvenile is a threat to his own safety or the safety of others, or he feels that the offender may disrupt the proceedings.

One of the advocates said that this was a great move forward as to how we treat juveniles. She said that it was a shame seeing juveniles brought into the court shackled. That it could damage their self esteem and self image.

In the words of one of my mentors, Bugs Bunny…“What a Moorune!”

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015